Italian gelato is a delicious ice-cream like desert made from milk, sugar and cornstarch. This chocolate gelato recipe uses bittersweet (not sweetened) chocolate. It’s easy to make and you don’t need any special equipment, such as a gelato maker. An ice cream freezer and regular kitchen items are the only requirements to whip up a batch of this desert. Try this easy chocolate gelato recipe the next time you need a desert that’s sure to please everyone. Preparation time is approximately 5 hours, as the gelato will need to freeze before serving.
- 3 cups milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 7 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- Bring 2 ¼ cups of the milk to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt, and ¼ cup milk in a small bowl. Whisk together until smooth.
- Add sugar and cornstarch mixture to the boiling milk and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for three minutes, whisking frequently. Remove from heat. The mixture will be very thick.
- Bring remaining ½ cup milk to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Pour the hot milk over the chocolate in a mixing bowl. Let stand for one minute, or until chocolate has melted.
- Whisk the chocolate mixture until smooth. Stir into the cornstarch mixture and force through a fine sieve into a large bowl.
- Cool the mixture slightly, stirring to prevent a skin from filming on top. Cover with wax paper and chill for two hours in the refrigerator.
- Freeze the gelato mixture in an ice cream maker. Transfer to a plastic airtight container and place in the freezer for three hours, or until hardened. Allow the chocolate gelato to thaw for about five minutes prior to serving.
This gelato recipe makes approximately 4-6 servings. The gelato will keep in the freezer for up to one week. Serve plain or with whipped cream and wafers.