The field of counseling offers a wide rang of opportunities in the world of work. A counselor is one who assists, advocates, directs or makes suggests things to someone with some issue that they may be confronted. We have pit together a few tips that will help you find a counseling job.
· Understand the kinds of jobs that are available in the field of counseling. There is a wide range of positions that require a counselor such as an academic counselor, nutritional counselor, career counselor, basic skills counselor, spiritual counselor, human service counselor, nurse counselor, mental health counselor, administrative counselor, attorney counselor, social service counselor and many others. There are also positions available as counselor assistants in many areas.
· Decide the area of counseling that you would like to pursue. You can do this by doing a little research on the areas that you feel you would be interested in working, See your self in this position and if you like what you have visualized then ask yourself how you feel about working in this area. It is a position that requires that you spend a lot of time interacting with people. Counselors should reflect positive vibes to their clients so it is important that if you are going to work in this field you should really feel good about helping people.
· Check out credential required to hold the position. Most counseling positions would require that one would hold a Masters or Higher in Social Work, Counseling, Nursing, Psychology, Social Service, or some other professional area. If you are interested in becoming an Attorney who is also known as a counselor than a Law Degree is required. There are some jobs for counseling that require a Bachelors Degree while others such as assistant counselor would require less. Some of these positions also require state certification. So all of this needs to be checked out so you will know the requirements and know what you need to do to qualify for the position.
· Analyze your credentials. You know the kinds of positions that a counselor can hold as well as the credentials that the institution is looking for in a person that would choose to hold the position.
· Get ready for the position. Now you have analyzed your credentials and now you can determine if you are ready to apply for a position in counseling. If you have your credentials in order then prepare to look and apply for positions. If you need additional training now is the time to enroll in a college or university program to get your degree. If you need only a couple of courses to complete your class work then you could enroll in the courses; as well as step out on faith and apply for a counseling position, on a promise that you will be finished in a semester.
· Begin your job search. You find a counseling position by looking in web sites of school systems, hospitals, state agencies and universities. You can try Google searches, ask people who you know that work in the area of your choice for a referral, look in News Papers and attend job fairs.
· Be patient. It takes time but with a little patience and perseverance you will get that counseling job and help many people have a better life. The world needs more people like you. So just follow our suggested tips and you will find your dream counseling job.