This article covers the world’s largest and longest ships in the world. It features the general characteristic of each vessel.
1. Knock Nevis – World’s Largest Ship Ever Built
With an impressive length of 458.45 m (1,504.10 ft), the supertanker Knock Nevis was the longest ship ever built.
- It possesses the greatest deadweight tonnage ever recorded.
- Its displacement tonnage was 646,642 tons making it the heaviest of any ship of any kind. It is generally considered the largest ship ever built.
- It has a fully laden draft of 24.6 m (81 ft)
- If fully loaded, it is unable to navigate the English Channel, the Suez Canal or the Panama Canal
- It was the longest ship ever constructed, larger than the Petronas Twin Towers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- It’s the 5th largest ship in term of gross tonnage – 236,710 GT.
- Its total length is 458.45 m, a beam of 68.8 m, a draught of 24.611, and a depth of 29.8 m.
- It has a capacity of 564,763 DWT and can attain a speed of 16 knots.
2. TI Class – World’s Largest Double-Hulled Supertanker
With length of 379 meters, the ultra large crude carriers TI Class of Ships are the four largest double-hulled supertankers in the world. The class comprises the ships TI Africa, TI Asia, TI Europe and TI Oceania (TI – Tankers International).
- It is the world’s largest ocean going ships as of 2004.
- The class was originally named the Hellespont Alhambra, Hellespont Fairfax, Hellespont Metropolis and Hellespont Tara.
- These oil tankers were constructed in South Korea in 2002/3.
- It can attain a speed of 17.5 knots faster than the Knock Nevis
- It has a length of 379 m, a depth of 34 m, a breath of 34 m and a draught of 24.5 m.
- It has a capacity of 441,585 DWT, 3,166,353 barrels (503,409,900 l).
3. MS Fantasia _ Europe’s Largest Ship
With a length of 333.30 meters, MSC Fantasia, a Fantasia Class cruise ship, is the largest passenger ship ever constructed for a European ship-owner.
- The cost of this ship is $550 million
- It has 14 elevators
- Its over-all length is 333.30 m or 1,093.5 ft
- Its beam is 37.9 m and with a draft of 27.7 m.
- It has 18 decks, 13 of which are passenger decks
- It can attain speed of up to 23 knots or 43 kph
- It can accommodate 3,900 passengers.
- It has 1,313 crews
- It has a restaurant for suite occupants only, a casual buffet eatery, 2-level main dining room, Tex-Mex Restaurant and Italian panoramic specialty restaurant.
- It has a 1,700-seat show lounge, nightclub, library, card room, Internet center, shopping gallery and Monte Carlo Casino for entertainments.
- It has a spa with a total area of 16,000 sq ft or 1,500 m2
- It has a beauty salon, treatment rooms, gymnasium with ocean views and thermal suite
- It has 4 swimming pools, 1 of which can be covered by a sliding glass dome.
- It has deck quoits, shuffleboard courts, tennis and basketball court, mini-golf and a jogging track.
4. Batillus – World’s Largest Self-Propelled Object Ever Constructed
The supertanker Batillus with a length of 414.2 meters is the world’s largest self-propelled object ever built. It was constructed in 1976 together with her sister ships Bellamya, Pierre Guillaumat and Prairial.
- It is the world’s 2nd biggest ship
- Although 2nd largest in term of size, it’s the world largest by gross tonnage.
- It has a beam of 63.01 m, a draft of 28.5 m.
- It has a deadweight tonnage of 553.662 t, and gross tonnage of 273.550 t.
- It can attain a speed of 16.7 knots or 30 kph
- It consumes about 330 tonnes of heavy oil per day and fuel enough for 42 days.
5. MSY Wind Surf – World’s Largest Sailing Vessel
MSY Wind Surf, together with other cruise ships of Windstar Cruises, is notable for its modern computer-controlled sailing.
- With a length of 187 meters, it’s the world’s largest sailing vessel.
- It is 5-masted motor-sailer type of ship
6. Emma Maersk – World’s Largest Container Ship
The container ship Emma Mærsk, with a length of 397 meters, is the world’s is the largest container ship ever built.
- With her 7 sister ships, they are the longest container ships constructed and the longest ships currently in use.
- It is capable of carrying 11,000 twenty-foot equivalent unite (TEU).
- Emma Maersk and her sisters, has a gross tonnage of about 170,000 gross tons.
- It has a beam of 56 m, a draft of 15.5 m and a depth of 30 m
- It can attain a speed of 25.5 knots or 47.2 kph.
7. MSC Beatrice – World’s 2nd Largest Capacity
The 366.1 meter long MSC Beatrice is a container ship that has the second largest capacity in the world. It has a maximum capacity of 13,798 TEU (empty containers), or 10,500 TEU (14t each). Emma Maersk, the world’s largest container ship, has a capacity of 13,500 TEU.
- It is the 2nd ship of the 8th MSC Daniela Class vessels.
- It has a beam of 51 m, and a draft of 15 m.
- It can attain a speed of 25.2 knots or 46.7 kph.
- It is operated by 30 crews.
8. USS Enterprise – World’s Largest Aircraft Carrier
With a length of 342 meters, the USS Enterprise is the largest naval vessel in the world. It is also the first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier in the world. This single ship class is nicknamed ‘Big E’. Enterprise, with 51 years of continuous service, is the second oldest vessel still in commission in the US Navy.
- It is set to retire in 2013.
- Its replacement is the USS Gerald R. Ford.
- Its beam is 40.5 meters and the draught is 12 meters.
- It has a speed of 33.6 knots or 62.2 kph.
- It is operated by 2,700 sailors, 150 chiefs and 150 officers.
- It has about 1,000 km of electrical cables and 60 km of ventilation ducts.
9. Oasis Class – World’s Largest Cruiser/Passenger Ship
With a length of 360 meters, the Oasis Class is the world’s largest passenger ships. Oasis of the Seas was completed and delivered on October 28, 2009 and Allure of the Seas is under construction and is expected to be completed by late 2010.
MS Oasis of the Seas
The 360 meter-long MS Oasis of the Seas is the world’s largest passenger. It is owned and operated by Royal Caribbean International.
- It has a two-story loft suites and luxury suits with balconies overlooking the sea
- It has a zip-line, a casino and a mini-golf course.
- It also has multiple night clubs, several bars and lounges, a karaoke club and a comedy club.
- It has 4 swimming pools, volleyball and basketball courts, theme parks and nurseries for children.
- It will house the first living park at sea with over 12,000 plants and 56 trees.
- It has a capacity of 225,282 GT.
- Its beam is 47 meters and its height is 72 meters.
- Its draught is 9.3 meters and its depth is 22.55 meters.
- It can attain a speed of 22.6 knots or 41.9 kph.
- It can accommodate 5,400 passengers double occupancy; 6,296 total.
- It is operated by 2,165.
- Its cost is US$1.4 billion.
MS Allure of the Seas
MS Allure of the Seas is the sister ship of MS Oasis of the Seas. It will be 360 meters or 1,181 feet long and will have a tonnage of 225,282 tons. Her maiden voyage will be in 2010.
- It can accommodate 5,600 people.
- Its beam is 47 meters and a height of 72 meters.
- Its draught is 9.3 meters and its depth is 22.55 meters.
- It has 16 passenger decks and has a speed of 20.2 knots or 37 kph.
10. MS Berge Stahl – World’s Largest Bulk Carrier Ship
With a length of 343 meters, the MS Berge Stahl is the world’s largest bulk carrier ship. This huge iron ore carrier is registered in Norway.
- It has a capacity of 364,767 metric tons (DWT).
- It has a beam or width of 65 meters and a draft or depth in the water of 23 meters.
- It has a top speed of 13.5 knots or 25 kph
- It can only tie up at two ports (Terminal Maritimo de Ponta da Madeira in Brazil and Europort in the Netherlands.
11. Iowa Class Battleships – World’s Largest Battleships
The Iowa Class Battleships were a class of six US Navy fast battleships which operated in the Pacific Theater of World War II. Four were completed in the early- to mid-1940s; two more were laid down, but they were canceled prior to completion and eventually scrapped. The Iowa class was the final class of U.S. battleships to be built.
- Members of the class includes the USS Iowa, USS New jersey, USS Missouri, USS Wisconsin, and the canceled Illinois and Kentucky.
- It’s the only remaining battleship class currently in existence that can be reactivated.
- These battleships were seen in action during the World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War and the Gulf War.
- Its primary armament is nine 16-inch (406 mm)/50-caliber Mark 7 naval guns.
- It holds the record for the longest ranged straddle in history when USS Iowa engaged and hit the Japanese destroyer Nowaki at a distance of 32.6 km off Truk Atoll on February 16, 1944.
- Its length is 262.5 meters wit a beam of 33 m and draft of 11 m.
- It can attain a speed of 35 knots or 65 kph
12. Kirov Class Battlecruisers – World’s Largest and Most Powerful Surface Combatant Warships
With a length of 252 meters, the Kirov Class Battlecruisers of the Russian Navy are the largest surface combatant warships. It is also the most powerful surface combatant warships currently in active operation in the world. These over-sized guided missile cruisers or battlecruisers has a speed of 32 knots or 37 kph.
- Its beam is 28.5 meters and its draft is 9.1 meters.
- Its main weapons are 20 x P-700 Granit Shipwreck missiles
- Its other weapons include the automatic 130 mm AK-130 gun system, 40 anti-submarine rockets and 2 six-tube launchers
- Kirov is its flagship, Frunze the second vessel in the class is Frunze, the 3rd is Kalinin and the 4th is Yuri Andropov.
13. Wasp-Class Amphibious Assault Ships – World’s Largest Amphibious Assault Ships
With a length of 257 meters, the Wasp-Class Amphibious Assault Ships of the US Navy are the world’s largest vessels of this type in service. They are designed to land forces on hostile shores.
- It has an air group of helicopters that are used to ferry Marines and equipment to the shore from the ships.
- Up to 20 Harriers can be embarked when the ship is used as a temporary STOL or “Harrier Carrier.”
- Each Wasp-class warship has a hospital with 600 patient beds and six operating rooms.
- Its beam is 32 meters.
- It can attain a speed of 20 knots or 37 kph
- It is operated by 104 officers and 1,004 enlisted men.
- It carries 6 AV-8B Harrier II attack aircraft, 4 AH-1W SuperCobra attack helicopter, 12 CH-46 Sea Knight helicopters and 4 CH-53 Sea Stallion helicopters.
14. RMS Queen Mary 2 – World’s Largest Ocean Liner
The transatlantic ocean liner RMS Queen Mary 2 is the world’s largest ocean liner with a length of 345 meters. It is the flagship of Cunard Line and was the longest, widest and tallest passenger ship ever built at the time of its construction in 2003. It was also the largest by gross tonnage – (GT) of 148,528 tons.
- It has 15 restaurants and bars
- It has 5 swimming pools, a casino, a ballroom and a theatre
- It has the first planetarium at sea.
- It has a maximum speed of 29.62 knots or (54.86 kph), much faster than most other passenger ships.
- It has a beam of 41 m, a waterline of 45.0 m, an extreme (bridge wings), a height of 72.0 m and a draught of 10.1 m.
- It has a total of 17 decks, 13 of which are passenger decks.
- It can accommodate 3,056 passengers.
- It is operated by 1,253 officers and crews.
15. France II – Largest Sailing Ship in the World Merchant Fleet
The French sailing ship France II, with a length of 146.5 meters, was the largest sailing ship in the world merchant fleet ever built. It was an extremely huge ship of 5,633 GRT. It is one of the most elegant sailing cargo carriers
- It had a huge sail area of 6,350 m² [68,350 sq ft].
- Its displacement was 10,710 t (10,541 tons
- It can carry 7,300 tons of cargo.
- It had a beautiful lounge equipped with piano and precious furniture.
- It has a beam of 55.65 ft (16.96 m) and a height of 211.6 ft (64.5 m)
- It had 7 first class passenger cabins, library, darkroom, seawater therapy equipment.
16. Royal Clipper – World’s largest Square-rigged Ship
The Royal Clipper, a steel-hulled five masted fully rigged tall ship used as a cruise ship with a length of 133.8 meters, is recognized by the Guinness World Records as the world’s largest square-rigged ship in service.
- Star Clippers claims that she is the largest “true sailing ship” built since Preussen.
- It has a beam of 16.5 m and a draft of 18.5 m.
- It has 42 sails and a sail area of 56,000 ft² or 5,202.6 m².
- It has 2 Caterpillar 3516 diesel engines.
- It has a capacity of 227 passengers and operated by 106 crews.
17. M/Y Eclipse – World’s Largest Yacht
The luxury yacht M/Y Eclipse with a length of 170 meters, is the world’s largest private yacht ever constructed.
- It is 11 meters longer than the world’s previous largest yacht Dubai.
- Its total is $1.2 billion or 800 million euros.
- It has two helicopter pads, 11 guest cabins, two swimming pools, several hot tubs and a disco hall.
- It is also equipped with three launch boats, and a mini-submarine that is capable of submerging to 50 meters.
- Approximately 70 crew members are needed to operate the yacht.
- It is fitted with intruder detection systems and a German-built missile defense system. The windows in the master suite and the yacht’s bridge are also fitted with bullet-proof glass and both are armor plated.
- It is also equipped with an anti-paparazzi shield in the form of lasers that sweep the surroundings, and when they detect a CCD, they fire a bolt of light right at the camera to obliterate any photograph.