Final Fantasy XIII introduces a new mechanic for summons. How to use these powerful beasts is discussed in another article elsewhere, but in order to gain the service of these mighty Eidolons, you must first earn their respect in battle! This guide is aimed at giving you general tips on how to subdue the Eidolons of Final Fantasy XIII, and if you’re still having trouble, then there is an individualised guide for each Eidolon that will help you out.
- Firstly, Remember you are not trying to kill the Eidolon. In order to win the battle, you must fill the Gestalt Gauge that appears on screen and then press X/Square to claim the beast as your own.
- Each Eidolon has certain actions that it respects. ALL Eidolons respect you building up chain bonuses on them. Note that this means putting bars on the chain gauge, NOT making the chain gauge go higher! So ravagers will beat commandos here. Doing actions the Eidolon Respects will build the gestalt gauge.
- Finding out what an Eidolon respects is difficult, even Libra will not reveal that information to you (But you should still use it for elemental weaknesses e.t.c). The only way to find this out is to keep battling the eidolon, and check back to the target info screen every so often (Right bumper/R1)
- All Eidolon Battles begin with doom being cast on the party leader- you cannot remove this status effect, so you need to move fast!
- Most Eidolon battles are close run with the Doom counter, so if time is running out you may still be on the right track. Just try to be more aggressive, or keep doing what you’re doing- so long as the gestalt gauge is rising, you’re on the right track.
- Finally, when going into an Eidolon battle, it’s a good idea to begin on the defensive and then go offensive when you know what they are capable off. For more information on combat in general, check here.
- Don’t try to stagger them. It’s not worth it.
If you’re still having trouble, don’t worry. There’s a guide to how to subdue Each Eidolon below: