To me the benefits of being an independent entrepreneur as opposed to a corporate wage slave are as obvious as night and day. As an entrepreneur you get to set your own schedule, you don’t have to put up with pedantic rules, and you don’t have to deal with an incompetent supervisor breathing down your neck. Also you have the creative freedom that you don’t have working in a cubicle under the gun all day. On top of this, odds are you will perform more quality and meaningful work when you are benefiting from it directly and not working under a tyrannical corporation. But these are just the givens…I’ve realized as of late that the benefits actually run much deeper than this.
I have only one simple reason why you really should become an entrepreneur. This reason alone is enough to want to escape the rat race with too many rats and not enough cheese. Probably the number one reason most people are attracted to a “normal job” is for the assurance that they will have steady income. Unfortunately, many people have realized that just isn’t the case any longer. So far there have been more than 2.5 million people that have lost their job since the recession. The Utopian ideal of job security is pretty much non existent at this point in time. No matter how good of a job you do and how stable you think your career may be, there really are no guarantees. Today there is a completely new ball game, and it’s time to change our strategy when playing the game.
The only true way to have financial security is to have multiple streams of income and not being at the mercy of a single employer that can throw you away like yesterday’s garbage once you are of no more use to them. It’s like having multiple fishing poles in the water spread across several areas as opposed to just one in a small pond hoping to God that the fish are biting that day. This way if one area goes wrong, you will have plenty of other backup options. It’s time to grab the reigns and take control of your own destiny.
Here a few ideas
- Start a small business- This is the most obvious solution. Everyone has something that they specialize in. Find your strengths and interests and start something great. There are an infinite amount of possibilities with many businesses capable of being started with less than $100
- Write- There are online companies like Associated Content that will pay you for quality articles. Check out http://freelancewritersresource.blogspot.com/ for more info
- Start a blog- Anyone can start a blog for free and monetize it to make some decent income
- Affiliate Marketing- Many companies out there have affiliate programs that will pay you for referring their products
- Zazzle, Cafepress, and Spreadshirt- These companies allow anyone to create their own online stores and design clothing with zero start up cost
- Microstock Photography- If you are good at photography, you can sell your images online and earn royalties (also zero start up cost)
These are just a few ways to get started. With a little determination and creativity, the possibilities are endless. So why not think outside of the box and dare to be an entrepreneur. In the long run, there is much more security and fulfillment in doing it yourself and not settling for mediocrity.
For more information on small business start ups, check out http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/132197