Health benefits from these popular fruits are also included.
Pineapple is one of the most popular fruits in the world. Large supply of pineapple comes from Southeast Asia. The Philippines is one of the world’s largest producers of fresh pineapple. It has wide plantations in Mindanao. Pineapple is endemic to Paraguay and Brazil. This fruit can be eaten fresh or canned. It is popularly used in salads and desserts.
For a popular recipe with pineapple, check this out
- Pineapple breaks down protein because it contains proteolytic enzyme bromelain
- It helps cure intestinal disorder
- It is believe that it serves as a pain reliever
- Pineapple helps induce childbirth when a baby is over due
- Pineapple is a good source of manganese
- It contains considerable amount of vitamin C and B1
The world’s sweetest mangoes are harvested in the Philippines. Mango is the national fruit of the Philippines. This fruit, which is endemic to India, is also the national fruit of India and Pakistan.
Guimaras Island is well known for producing the sweetest mangoes in the world. About 50,000 mango trees can be found on this province located in the southern part of the archipelago. Mangoes exported from this province are reportedly served at the Buckingham Palace in UK and at the White House in the US.
The mango festival or locally known as Manggahan Festival is celebrated annually in Guimaras. It is the province’s largest event of the year.
Green mangoes or unripe mangoes are eaten with bagoong or fish sauce. Dried strips of ripe mangoes from Cebu are also exported worldwide.
In 1995, the Guinness World Records listed the Philippine Carabao Mango as the “world’s sweetest mango”. It is also the most delicious, tastiest and fiber-free cultivar of mango.
- Mango contains variety of phytochemicals and nutrients.
- It is high in prebiotic, dietary fiber, polyphenols and provitamin A carotenoids.
- It is rich in vitamin A, B6, C, E & K
- Mango contains essential dietary minerals.
- It contains essential nutrients such as copper and 17 amino acids
One of the healthiest fruits in the world is Banana. The Philippines is one of the largest producers of banana in the world. This fruit is endemic to the Philippines and other Southeast Asian countries. With more or less 30,000 hectares planted with bananas, the Philippines is the “world’s 3rd largest producer of bananas. Large plantations of bananas are located in typhoon-free provinces of Mindanao situated in the southern part of the country.
A cultivar of banana locally called “lakatan’ is the most favored variety in the Philippines. The taste and flavor is sweet and the flesh is firm.
For popular foods made from banana, see this article
- Bananas are known to reduce risk of colorectal cancer.
- It reduced risk of breast cancer and renal cell carcinoma in women.
- Bananas are rich in vitamin C, B6, and potassium
- It’s a complete food and especially beneficial to athletes.
Coconut, which is regarded in the Philippines as the “tree of life”, is one of the countries most important export products. The country is the world’s 2nd largest producer of coconut, next to Indonesia.
The coconut tree is so-called the ‘the tree of life’ because literally speaking, all parts of the plant is economically important. Copra, the dried meat of coconut, is the primary source of coconut oil which is use in cooking and, soap and margarine making. Coconut milk is used to produce virgin coconut oil for cosmetic purposes.
For foods made from coconut, click this link
And for health benefits from coconut water, visit this site
- It reduces the viral load of HIV
- Coconut water is good for kidney problems
- Coconut water raises metabolism and boost immune system.
- It is the source of one of the healthiest fats – coconut oil
- Coconut meat destroys intestinal parasites
- Popular Culinary Dishes of the Banana in the Philippines
- Pininyahang Manok (Chicken With Pineapple)
- 18+ Filipino Favorite Foods Made From Coconut
- Effective and Natural Medicines That Can Treat Kidney DisordersAnd Other Diseases
- 12 Vitamin-rich Exotic Fruits From the Philippines (and other Tropical Areas)
- 12 Exotic Tropical Fruits: How Many of These Have You Tasted?
- Weirdest and Unusual shapes of Fruits
- The 10 Largest Fruits in the World
- 10 Healthiest Foods in the World
- 50 Amazingly Interesting Facts, Uses and Health Benefits of Hibiscus