Things You’ll Need:
- about 1 lb ground turkey or beef
- 1 packet of plain instant oatmeal OR 1/2 cup of instant oats OR 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 egg or 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 tbs dehydrated onion
- spices as desired: pepper, oregano, parsley, basil
- 1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce or bbq sauce
Step1 Combine ground turkey or beef, onion, spices of your choice, egg and oatmeal (or bread crumbs) in a medium bowl. Mixing with your hands works well. I have made these without the egg, but the meatballs don’t hold together as well.
Step2 Empty the jar of pasta sauce into the crock. Add about 1/2 cup of water to the sauce jar, replace the lid and shake it. This will get all the remaining sauce out. It won’t water down the sauce any noticeable amount.
Step4 Set the crock on low and cook for about 6 hours or on high for about 3 hours Set it and forget it!
- These are great with pasta or, my families favorite, served in a hotdog bun or other bread for a meatball sub.
- If using bbq sauce, serve as an appetizer with toothpicks. I brought some to a neighborhood picnic and they went over very well.
- You can also cook these in the oven in a shallow pan. Cook at 350 F for about 30 minutes. Place the meatballs in the pan and then pour your favorite sauce over the top.