At some point in our careers we all come across them. Upset customers. Whether they are upset about bad service or bad products, someone has to deal with them. I’ve found that the best way to handle a testy customer is to put myself in their shoes. Here is a list of a few things that will settle that unhappy customer down and hopefully get them to return to your store, happy.
- Simply tell them that you are sorry this has happened to them. Sometimes all a customer needs to know is that their complaint is being heard and someone is trying to do something about it.
- Listen to the customer and acknowledge their complaint. Just simply let them vent.
- Thank them for their patience and let them know that taking care of the situation may take longer to do. Let them know that you take them seriously.
- Tell them you understand how they feel and are sorry. Sometimes empathy works wonders.
- Let them know that you will personally get to the bottom of the situation. Give them a number where they can reach you and promise to keep them informed.
Just remember, a happy customer is a repeat customer!