Winter brings Christmas and New Years and it brings snow. Preparing for a snowstorm can minimize the stress since you have advanced knowledge that a snow storm is coming. Here are some tips:
Make a shopping list for the supermarket and include the following:
- beverages-boxed and canned milk, juice, and soup.
- boxes of cereal, crackers, and trail mix.
- bread-for sandwiches.
- canned ready-to-eat meals like tuna, crabs, and sardines.
- can opener.
- four-day supply of baby food, baby formula, and change of clothes.
- fruits such as apples, bananas, and oranges.
- quick lunches like jars of jelly and peanut butter.
- powdered or condensed milk
General items for the Household:
- batteries for battery-powdered clock and battery-powered radio.
- blankets and pillows.
- first-aid kit.
- flashlights and batteries.
- medications (over the counter and presciptions).
- suitcase for extra clothes/shoes per family member in case the family has to leave for safety shelter.
- Avoid frozen pipes by wrapping interior water pipes with foam tubes and allow slight dripping.
- Charge all equipment-cell phones, flashlights, and battery-powered radio.
- Check on any elderly or physically-challenged neighbors to make sure they have enough items.
- Keep your pathways cleared and salted.
- Make sure you have enough money for possibility of staying in motel/hotel (safety from storm).