Image 1: Creamy Potato Bake
A creamy potato bake is one of the simplest ways by which a new, taste bud tantalizing lease of life can be endowed upon the humble potato.
Image 2: Different Potato Varieties
Creamy Potato Bake Ingredients:
- 1½ Kg (about 3¼ Pounds) of Brushed Potatoes
- 300 ml of Thin Cream
- 30 Grams of Butter
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 Onions
- 1 Cup of Milk
- 2 Tablespoons of Finely Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon of Fresh Thyme Leaves
- Freshly Ground Sea Salt (seasoning)
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper (seasoning)
Image 3: Garlic and Garlic Press
Creamy Potato Bake Method:
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. or 160 degrees C. (fan forced ovens).
- Lightly grease a 7-cup ovenproof baking dish (use a non-stick cooking spray if you are so inclined).
- Wash, peel and thinly slice the potatoes. Then peel, halve and thinly slice the onions and peel and thinly slice the garlic cloves
- Thoroughly combine milk and cream
- First Layer – Layer one third of the potatoes over the base of your baking dish. Sprinkle ½ of the onions, thyme and garlic over the potatoes then season with freshly ground sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pour one third of the cream/milk mixture over the top of these layers.
- Second Layer – Layer the second third of potatoes over the layers already in the baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining ½ of the onions, thyme and garlic over the potatoes and season with freshly ground sea salt and black pepper. Pour the second third of the cream/milk mixture over the top of these layers.
- Final Layer – Top with remaining potatoes and finish by pouring the remaining cream/milk mixture over the top of all.
Cooking Your Creamy Potato Bake:
- Tightly cover baking dish (use a sheet of oiled aluminum if your baking dish does not have a tight fitting lid). Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- Once creamy potato bake has been cooking for around 30 to 40 minutes melt the butter.
- Remove creamy potato bake from the oven, uncover and carefully brush top of creamy potato bake with the melted butter.
- Return the creamy potato bake to the oven and continue baking for another 35 minutes or so. Now remove from oven and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Return to oven and continue baking until the potato slices become tender and the top of the creamy potato bake turns a golden brown color (around 15 minutes).
Image 4: Assortment of Potato Dishes
Serving Creamy Potato Bake:
- This creamy potato bake is at its best when served hot. Take care when handling as it will be very hot.
- When serving this creamy potato bake from its baking dish then it is most advisable to place a thick place mat or under your creamy potato bake thereby avoiding scorching your furniture (the dinner table).
- Consider garnishing with a few slices of thinly sliced tomato and a sprinkling of parsley.
- A little paprika sprinkled over the cheese adds a dash of color to your finished creamy potato bake
- A creamy potato bake is ideally suited to self-serve menus
Image 5: Bowl Of Spanish Smoked Paprika
- Yield: 6 Adult portions
- Time: 20 minutes preparation time and 1½ hours cooking time.