- Lose those extra pounds. Whether you are looking to lose those couple pounds that you gained over this holiday season, or you are looking to lose the last ten years of holiday weight, dieting is at the top of many people’s lists for New Year’s Resolutions. If you go this route, set small attainable goals, consider both diet and exercise, and talk to your doctor first for advice on which type of plan might work best for you.
- Kick those bad habits! Maybe you have been meaning to quit smoking. Perhaps you think you need to cut back on the alcohol. Or maybe your bad habit is spending way too much money at the Home Shopping Network. Whatever it is, there is no better time than the present… or New Years to kick those bad habits! Seek support through groups, friends, family and health care professionals. No matter what your bad habit is, or how long you’ve been doing it, you can quit!
- Help others and help yourself. Charity itself can be a selfish act. Seems like an oxymoron, but it is true. I’ve done it, and while it helps others, you feel good too. So maybe this New Year’s you can give your time, money or expertise for someone in need. Some popular charities and groups that could always use your help are The Boys and Girls Club, American Red Cross, The Blood Bank, Habitat for Humanity, Green Peace and Goodwill.
- Make family and friends a priority. Have you become lost in work, school, or other activities so much so that your family and friends have fallen down on your list of priorities? Perhaps this is an ideal time to make a change. Let your family and friends know what you intend to do in the New Year, and have them help by reminding you if you fall back into old habits.
- Be happy! Resolving to be happy might seem silly to some, but whether you need to end toxic relationships, take more leisure time, or find some “me” time, making a resolution to do so might just be the kick in the pants you need to make it happen! So break up, make up, take a vacation or sign up for yoga! Do what you need to do to be happy in the New Year!