As our economy dictates, more and more women are working outside the home and are delaying getting married and having babies.
Our grandparents expected to marry young and have many babies, leaving grandmother to look after the family while grandfather went out to work.
These days women do not automatically assume that they will get married and with fertility rates falling, having babies is no longer taken for granted.
Processed food, air pollution, stress, age and time are all factors that can impact fertility.
The food we eat and the air we breathe are no longer pure and uncontaminated. Additives and preservatives are routinely added to food. Cars and factories pump out noxious gasses for us to inhale. Money worries, job pressure and keeping up with modern living can cause stress. Putting off having babies until the time is right and trying to make time in our busy lives, has an effect on our fertility and ability to conceive.
When we decide we are ready to have a baby there are a few things we can do to improve our health and well being.
- Eat as much fresh fruit and vegetables as possible. Try to source locally produced food as this does not have far to travel and has less added preservatives.
- Get as much fresh air as possible by visiting parks and other open places away from direct sources of pollution.
- Try to reduce stress levels by looking at our lifestyles and making positive changes wherever we can.
- Taking vitamin and mineral supplements to help ensure our baby’s future health even before it is conceived. Always check with your doctor or pharmacist to make sure that the supplements are the most beneficial ones, and that we are taking the correct dosage.
- If we are lucky enough to get pregnant we will have to make time for the baby. Start preparing well in advance. Make necessary changes and be aware that babies take up a lot of time especially in the first few months.
Deciding to have a baby can be joyful or overwhelming. It is probably one of the biggest decisions we will ever make and will affect us for the rest of our lives.
To give ourselves the best chance of success it is important to look after ourselves and remember that having a baby should be a natural event not something that should be put off or avoided. There are lots of things we can do to help ourselves so let’s get started!