Snoring is a troublesome condition which can be distressing for both the partners. But if a few preventive measures are followed then this troublesome condition can definately be averted.
The steps to prevent snoring are as follows:-
- Loose weight. Eat sensibly, exercise, and maintain a healthy weight.
- Avoid the use of alcohol and medicines that slow your breathing, such as sleeping pills and tranquilizers before bedtime. All of these products act as sedatives and relax the body, including the throat tissues. This leads to increased snoring.
- Go to bed at the same time every night and get plenty of sleep. Regular sleeping patterns should be maintained which help you sleep better, and more restful sleep may reduce snoring.
- Sleep on your side, not on your back. Sleeping on your back can increase snoring.
- Quit smoking. This reduces inflammation and swelling in the airway, which may contribute to the narrowing of the airway.
- Elevate the head of your bed during sleep by putting bricks under the legs of the bed. (Using pillows to raise your head and upper body will not work). By sleeping at a slightly inclined position the tongue can be prevented from falling towards the back of the throat and this shall contribute to a blocked or narrowed airway. Lying on your side will help to prevent and avoid snoring.
- Promptly treat breathing problems, such as nasal congestion or blockages caused by a cold or allergies, since this will cause increased breathing through the mouth, resulting in increased snoring.