Ketchup with a Kick
* 1 x 28 oz can whole plumb tomatoes
* 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
* 1 medium Sweet Onion, minced
* 2 Garlic Cloves minced
* 1/2 cup vinegar (white wine vinegar works nicely)
* 1 cup Dark Brown Sugar
* 1/2 tsp sal1/4 tsp White Pepper
* 1/3 tsp Mustard Powder
* 1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
* ½ -1 tsp Tabasco Sauce (optional)
* 4-5 drops of Liquid Smoke (optional)
* Cook onions and garlic in olive oil until they are translucent
* Add remaining ingredients and simmer until the mixture reduces by half
* When reduced to half and quite thick, allow to cool slightly and puree in food processor until completely smooth
* Allow to sit for several hours before use to ensure full flavor
The same ingredients are used for basic Yellow Prepared Mustard and Hot Mustard, it is the method of preparation that makes one hot. To use this recipe to make mild prepared mustard, just substitute cold water. Add a little honey and you have homemade honey mustard.
* Mustard Powder ( I use Keen`s)
* Salt and Pepper
* White Wine Vinegar
* Boiling Water
* Mix Dry ingredients in a small bowl
* Gradually add in boiling water, mixing continuously until you have a thick paste
* add a little vinegar and stir until smooth
* Transfer to a small jar with a tight fitting lid ( so the ghosts don`t escape)
* You can add any herbs that you like to this recipe to make it extra special
Homemade Olive Oil Mayonnaise
Homemade mayo is one of the easiest condiments to make, but can spoil easily. I make a small batch each week to ensure that it is always fresh.
* 2 eggs (One entire egg and both egg whites)
* Olive oil
* 1/2 tsp Salt
* 1/2 tsp Lemon Juice
* Place one whole egg plus one egg yolk, salt and lemon juice in a deep container and beat with a submersion hand blender on med. speed until it begins to thicken
* Begin drizzling olive oil into the mixture and continue to do so until you have a nice thick Mayonnaise.
* Add garlic to this recipe and you have a nice thick Caesar Salad Dressing
* 1 cup of Peeled, chopped Horseradish Root
* 3/4 cup White Wine or Apple Cider Vinegar
* 1 teaspoons white sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* Blend all ingredients in food processor until semi-smooth
* Place in a sealed container over night
* Next day mix with some if the Homemade Ketchup and you have an amazing cocktail sauce.
WARNING. When preparing and transferring the Horseradish, keep your face as far away as you can. The fumes are quite harsh.
Honey BBQ Sauce
* 1/2 cup Water
* 3 Tbsp Honey
* 2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
* 3 oz Worcestershire sauce
* 3 oz Mustard Powder
* 1/4 cup Homemade Ketchup
* 2 Tbsp Black pepper
* 1 Tbsp Salt
* 1/8 c Red Pepper flakes
* 1 cup qt Wine vinegar
* 1 cup White wine
* Bring all ingredients to a boil and then simmer until thickened.
* Store in glass bottle or jar in refrigerator.
* For some extra flavor try adding Dr.Pepper or Cola instead of the water.