Here are some questions to understand his way handling his finances and way of thinking about money.
1. What was your first job as a teen?
2. How many hours did you work?
3. What was the best job you ever had as a teen?
4. What was your first job as an adult?
5. What are you currently earning a year at your present job?
RANDOM MONEY QUESTIONS
6. Do you keep yourself on a budget?
7. When you get your paycheck, what is the first thing you do?
8. What do you basically spend money on monthly other than rent/mortgage, utility bills and food?
9. Do you eat out often?
10. Do you pay your bills on time? Are you behind in any payment in any areas?
11. Do you pay child support?
12. When you get paid, do you set aside money from your paycheck for savings?
13. If answered no for #12, how do you save money? Do you have a savings plan?
14. Do put away money for rainy days or expensive purchases? If answer no, then ask how would you handle rainy days, and expensive purchases?
15. What would you do if you lost your job? Do you have money to cover your expenses and bills if this occurs?
DEBTS AND CREDIT CARDS
16. Do you have debts? What kind? How much and how you are paying off your debt?
17. Have you borrowed money from a friend or family member? Did you pay them back?
18. What is your opinion on buying anything with credit?
19. How many credit cards do you have?
20. Have you ever loaned money to your friends and family? Are they required to pay you back or do you just give them money when they ask?
21. Did you ever have a gambling problem?
22. Are you are a compulsive, impulsive shopper or someone who hoards his money, or save and spend it wisely?
BOYFRIEND’S PARENTS FINANCIAL BACKGROUND
23. Did both your parents work when you were a child?
24. Did your parents have a budget? Did they have a particular way of spending money?
25. How did your parents save their money? Did they have a particular system for saving?
26. Who managed the finances, paid the bills, wrote out the checks, balance the checkbook?
27. Did they use credit cards a lot?
28. Did you get an allowance from your parents as a child? What did you do with your allowance each week? Did you save it or spend it on something?
29. What have your parents taught you about spending, saving, and managing money?
30. What are some things you would do differently than your parents in regards to money?
31. What are your financial goals?
32. In a marriage, do you believe in joint bank account or should each person have joint account and also a separate account or just separate accounts?
33. Should the wife work full time or part time?
34. Based on your background, knowledge and experience now, what role do you think a wife should play financially?
35. What is the one thing you hope to teach your children about money?