Everyone assumes that being a work at home mom is something easy and simple, but it isn’t. Yes, there are many benefits and you get to be with your children, but the fact of the matter is that it’s still work and being a mom and working at the same time is a real challenge. So, before you make the leap, learn what it’s really like!
1. You’ll never get enough sleep. Moms don’t sleep enough anyway, but if you plan to work from home, forget about getting those 8 hours a night! You’ll be working when the kids are asleep, since that’s the time you’ll be able to concentrate. Be prepared to be fueled by caffeine, lots and lots of caffeine.
2. Most people won’t take you seriously. Being a work at home mom is something that most people still don’t understand. So they will ask you to babysit during the day, head up PTA meetings and do all manner of things that you just don’t have time for. Learning to say no is vital if you are going to be working from home.
3. You’re going to be distracted. Moms who work at home never get as much done as they’d hoped. Having kids around while you try to be productive is not easy at all and you are pretty much guaranteed to get distracted a lot of the time. You’ll have to set limits, plan well and accept that you aren’t going to be as productive as you’d hoped.
4. You won’t have time for your kids. Yes, you’ll be home, but you will be trying to make deadlines, finish up orders and get those clients to hire you. That’s not to say you won’t have any time at all for your kids, but it is something that you have to consciously decide to do, be with them.
5. You won’t be rich. Not to start, at least. Some women have great success in moving an existing career home, but it doesn’t always work that way. If you are going to be starting your own business, keep in mind that many businesses don’t make a profit for some time. Many will tell you that it will be a year before you can expect to earn, but it depends on the business.
6. You will get frustrated. Clients who are late with their payments, deadlines that seem impossible to meet, these are just a couple of things that will hit you when you are a work at home mom. It’s frustrating and you need to be a person who can get knocked down and still keep going, otherwise, you’ll probably give up.
Being a work at home mom is a great idea. It lets you save on commuting and eating out and childcare. But it’s not all peaches and cream and many people find that they simply aren’t cut out for it. Are you?