Learn to Trim Your Own Bangs
Tired of paying for a whole haircut when you just want a trim? Now you can trim your bangs all by yourself! It is really easy to do- but it is also really easy to mess up, so start slowly and read through all the instructions before beginning. Always keep in mind that you may not think you have cowlicks in front, but you will notice strong growth patterns, especially if you cut your bangs too short. So cut little amounts at a time, and you won’t have any problems.
Difficulty: Moderately Easy
Things You’ll Need:
- Scissors, or shears, that are sharp
Read through the whole article first….
First determine if you have cowlicks or if your hair grows in funny ways the shorter it is cut. If you do have cowlicks, then you want your bangs to be a bit longer.
If you already had bangs, then you are basically going to be trimming them, but you don’t want to go too short, or they will stand out. Decide how much you want to cut into bangs, if you didn’t have them before. I don’t recommend going over 2 inches from the hairline. Now you want to part off the bangs, and use banana clips to get the rest of your hair out of the way.
Keep your hair dry!! Hold the bangs to be cut with your non-dominant hand, between your thumb and first-finger. Trim a half inch off, or to the bridge of the nose. Comb it out and hold it straight to make sure there aren’t any long ones that you missed. Now fluff them about, and play with them to see if this length will work for you. If you want them shorter, repeat these steps, but cut only 1/8 to 1/4 inch off at a time- you can always cut more if necessary.
Tips & Warnings
- Hold your bangs at the bridge of your nose when your cutting, as this creates a gentle frame or fringe around your eyes.
- When making the cut, you can either cut straight across for a bold line, or snip into the ends with the tips of your shears, which creates a more natural look.
- If you want a really extreme fringe-y look, snip into the ends of the bangs, going up about 1/2 inch, making little triangle-cuts which will look very shaggy- in a good way.
- Do not wet-down your hair first- when it dries it will shrink, and shorten, and your bangs will be too short. Another reason for cutting them dry is that wet hair camouflages the cowlicks- which you need to be able to see when cutting bangs