Researching and deciding on the right travel insurance is as important as choosing your holiday. It is something you need especially when travelling overseas.
Regular health insurance does not usually cover overseas travel, and you should check with your health care provider for details before jetting off. Travel insurance also covers other things that happen on the road besides accidents, like plane delays, cancellations and your luggage getting lost or damaged.
Choosing Travel Insurance
When choosing a travel insurance policy, you need to read the fineprint and ensure you are covered for all the activities you will be doing. There are a lot of factors to consider besides price.
Your Travel Insurance Policy Should Cover
- All the countries you will be visiting
- Lost, damaged or stolen personal items such as jewellery, baggage, documents, etc.
- Cancellations from the hotel, flight, transport or trip
- Hospital and doctors fees
- If needed, the cost of air evacuation or repatriation to your home country
- Personal liability in case of accidental injury or damage to property or other people
- Legal costs from any injury or damage claim
- 24-hour emergency service and assistance hotline
- Adventure activities such as skiing or snowboarding if you are planning this type of trip (may cost extra)
- Electronic devices you may be taking with you
If You Need to Make a Claim
- Call the insurance company as soon as you know you will need to make a claim
- Keep all your receipts and necessary forms
- Be prepared to have to wait to get reimbursed
- For stolen items, get a police report
- For baggage claims, keep all paperwork including luggage tags, boarding passes and receipts for any items you have had to purchase
You need to be aware of what is and isn’t covered in your policy. Make sure you read the fineprint before starting your holiday. Most policies will not cover any drug or alcohol related incidents or carelessness such as leaving your car unlocked. Policies also don’t cover chemical attacks or injuries covered by terrorism or civil war.
World Nomads is a very reputable company that covers the travel insurance essentials without breaking the bank. They are ideal for backpackers or people who are travelling on holidays for more than a few weeks. They allow you to purchase travel insurance while you are on the road, so you don’t need to be in your country of residence to extend or take out a new policy. It’s perfect for travellers who are unsure how long they will need to be covered.
Travel insurance is a essential before taking your next holiday. Don’t be cheap; get the coverage you need. If you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel.