As the Holidays approach we often think of decorations but don’t have an opportunity to get out all our stored boxes and want something to remind us. A simple mantle piece decoration of Noel is a good way. Follow these tips to make one and keep it placed in plain sight until you need to put it on the mantle for the Holidays.
Things you’ll need:
- Wood letters from Crafts store spelling NOEL
- Wood base for letters also from crafts store or home store
- Graph paper and pencil.
- Strong glue
- Drill, brass screws and screwdriver
- Red and white paints, brushes
See also How to plan Christmas gifts list
Decide on size of your Noel mantle piece. Plan for it to be centered on mantle and be about 10-12 inches long with about 3-5 inch high letters. Use the author’s sketch provided or make your own on graph paper to scale. Cut out a paper template and place it on the mantle to check your size. You could color it with magic markers to match your finished colors. Plan on a white base with red letters with letter edges in white.
Purchase wood letters and wood base. Michael’s Crafts store will probably have what you need. If not go online and check other stores in your area before you drive around. Select strong glue such as Gorilla Glue and small brass screws to fasten each letter to the base. Pre-drill holes in base and letters prior to securing with screws. Sand all letters all sides and base top where letters are placed. Slightly round edges of letters and base if necessary.
Pre-paint base and all letters, leave raw wood where glue is to be placed. Screw letters to wood base and finish off minor painting at areas that need touch up like glue locations. Let letters and base dry completely overnight between paintings and securing of letters to base. Place on fireplace mantel and smile. Keep your new Noel in a bookcase so it can be seen throughout the year as a reminder to pull out your Christmas and Holiday decorations when the time comes in the winter.
Tips and Warnings:
- Spend some time online in advance to locate letters and base.
- If you have some left over wood make the base yourself.
- Use serif-type letters, they fit better into the traditional season.
- Add some miniature accessories to dress up your reminder Noel mantel display
- Take care when drilling and screwing the letters and base. Beware of splitting wood.
- Be sure and dry between paint coats thoroughly.
See also How to fill Christmas stockings