There are a number of ways in which to “ground yourself”, so I will start with some explanation about what I mean when I say “grounding.”
Grounding is the act of creating an energy connection (sometimes visualized as a cord or a path of light) from your body to Mother Earth. Humans are spiritual beings and by nature they have a great deal of power and energy.
Grounding helps to keep your energy system safe when you are doing magic or other spiritual work. It acts a bit like a “lightning conductor” and stops you from getting “zapped” by an overload of energy. The actual act of grounding brings power to your spiritual work as it aligns your spirit with your physical body, so that you can be present and attend to what needs to be done.
There are many “grounding” techniques, but this is the one that I feel is the simplest and easiest to learn and master.
- Find somewhere you are comfortable and either sit or stand.
- Breathe deeply and relax.
- As you breathe in think the words “peace, goodness, light and calm in.”
- As you breathe out think the words “stress, evil, negative and darkness out.”
- Keep repeating this until you are calm and ready to move on.
- As you breathe in change the thought to “good energy in” and think about a stream of energy coming up from the earth through your feet.
- As you breathe in and out pull this energy through you (including your spiritual centre) and out through the top of your head.
- As you breathe out think the words “negative energy out”.
- Allow the energy to flow down your shoulders and to the ground again. This not only grounds you but also provides a protective energy bubble.
- Thank the spirits for granting you the energy to connect to them.