Formation of cancerous cells that are malignant in nature forms in the nasopharynx is known as the Nasopharyngeal cancer. It is the upper part of the throat which is behind the nose. It is an empty tube that is from nose to the stomach. It is 5 inches long in length. Both food and air pass through it. Nasopharyngeal cancer starts from the squamous cells at the initial stages.
Nasopharyngeal cancer can be caused by Epstein-Barr virus as well as you can also inherit it if you have Asian or Chinese ancestors.
Symptoms of Nasopharyngeal cancer:
If you find following symptoms, consult a doctor to establish if you are suffering from Nasopharyngeal cancer or not:
- Formation of lump in the neck or nose
- Trouble with hearing, speaking and breathing
- A constant sore throat
- Pain in the ears
- A ringing sound in the ears
Medical Tests for Nasopharyngeal Cancer:
Your doctor will conduct following tests for determining if you have Nasopharyngeal cancer or not:
- A thorough physical examination of the throat is conducted and the throat is felt for any nodes. A long mirror is used for the examination.
- The nose is examined throughNasoscopy for any abnormal sings. A thin tublar instrument which is a nasascope is inserted in the nose and for better viewing a mirror and light is attached to it. Some tissue samples are removed in this process for further inspection.
- Spinal cord, brain and the nerve function is checked through Neurological examination in which a series of tests are conducted. Mental status is checked through questions.
- Chest and Head x-rays are taken in which different areas of the skull are examined for any sings of the nodes or lymph.
- Magnetic Resource Imaging is also conducted in which detailed body check up is conducted through the pictures taken in it. It is also called Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
- Detailed pictures of the body and skull are made through CT scan. Different angles are covered in this procedure. A computer is used for CT scan which is linked with an x-ray machine. A dye is injected in the patient’s body which helps to highlight different body parts.
- Differtn laborartory tests are conducted and blood and urine samples are taken for examination by the doctors.
- Cells are removed in biopsy for examination by a pathologist for schekcing any sings of Nasopharyngeal Cancer.