Deciding on a pediatrician for your child is critical to help your son/daughter maintain his/her health. It may take time and effort before your find the best doctor but it will provide you with peace of mind. Whether this is the first time or the 10th time you are choosing a provider, it will not become any easier and you must consider multiple questions to find the best fit.
- Advise your trusted familly members and friends that you are searching for a pediatrician. Some have used their doctor for years and will be happy to offer a recommendation.
- Access to specialists and intensive care treatment should be included by the pediatrician.
- After-hours answering services should be provided since accidents and injuries occur 24 hours a day.
- Availiability for the doctor/pediatrician: Are you able to speak directly with the pediatrician? Will the pediatrician contact you quickly.
- Comfort Levels: Your child should feel comfortable with the pediatrician.
- Communication: Is the provider friendly, knowledgable, and caring.
- Insurance/Fees: The pediatrician shoud be covered by your health plan.
- Location: The office should nearby for possible emergencies.
- Office Environment: It should be clean and spacious. The staff should be helpful and explain themselves.
- Reputation: Providers who have strong reputations are in high demand so you may have to go on a waiting list. Some communites have waiting lists of several months so take the time to find your provider soon.
Choosing a pediatrician is rewarding once you allow time to determine if he/she is a good fit for your child and yourself.