Get moving! Take advantage of small everyday opportunities to increase your activity level:
1. Take the stairs instead of elevators and escalators.
2. Park further away from the building or store that you’re going into.
3. Use the restroom furthest from your desk.
4. Take one lap around the grocery store before shopping.
5. Avoid the cab if your destination is just a few blocks away. Leave earlier if necessary.
Eat smart! These simple changes can make a big difference for your health, heart, mood, body and aging.
1. Eat more Omega-3 fatty acid-rich foods such as salmon, walnuts, and ground flaxseed.
2. Substitute beans for meat once a week for heart-healthy, low-fat, fiber-rich protein.
3. Eat whole grains such as brown rice and whole wheat pasta, bread, bagels and English muffins to add more fiber and nutrients to your diet.
4. Make salads with darker greens such as spinach, arugula, and romaine instead of iceberg leaves.
5. Replace candy snacks with nutrient -dense blueberries, mangoes, yellow and red bell pepper strips, peanuts, string cheese, yogurt or a glass of orange juice.
Think positive! These conscious decision-making steps may help enhance your life.
1. Make the choice to say “yes” by saying “no.” A courageous “no” to one thing will allow you to say “yes” to something of greater value or importance.
2. Let go of “energy drainers.” Take stock of what drains your energy and decide to let these go.
3. Picture yourself six months into the future. Standing there, what decisions would you make today?
4. Forgive yourself once a day.
5. Create your own life purpose statement. This gives you the means to know, moment-by-moment, when you’re on your life path and when you’re not.
Look good! Do not wait until “stress has taken over” before you make a change.
1. Regularly exfoliate, especially during the winter months, and stay hydrated to give the appearance of younger skin.
2. Have your eyebrows shaped by a professional for a younger, more refreshed looking face.
3. Take two antacids (such as Tums) before a waxing service to calm the skin.
4. Use hair conditioner to keep your hair smooth and protect against harsh weather conditions.
5. Keep yourself groomed regularly: haircut, manicure or pedicure (or simply have your nails cleaned), neatly shaved, and regular dental cleaning.