Try the following exercises. To get the maximum benefit from these exercises, you may want to jot down your thoughts.
- If you had 20 minutes to evacuate your home and could only take what you could fit in your car, what would you take? What if you could only take what you could carry?
- Once you realize that most things can be replaced, it’s easier to lighten your load
- Of what accomplishments are you most proud? What sacrifices, if any, did you make to achieve your successes? Your past accomplishments are proof that you can do anything you put your mind to doing. Believe in yourself.
- If you were to die tomorrow, what might people say about you at your funeral? Try to be as objective as you can. What would your children say about you? Your siblings? Your friends? Your colleagues? What would you like to have been remembered for? What personal qualities? What accomplishments or contributions?
- If you want to be remembered as someone who was always giving to others, begin now by giving away the things you own that are just taking up space in your home. When you give to those who are more needy than you, you give yourself the gift of giving.
- What do you dislike about clutter? In what ways do clutter and disorganization negatively affect your life? Why is it important for you to unclutter your home? What do you hope to gain?
The confusion in your home can spill over into the rest of your life, causing problems in your family or relationships. You may want to simplify your life just to prove to others that you can get organized and stay organized if you want to. Or maybe you need to make room in your life for something very important perhaps a relationship. It doesn’t matter what your reason is, but you need a reason that makes sense to you. Make that your motivation.
Make a list of your five favorite activities. Now write next to each one the date you last did these things. Are you enjoying your favorite activities as often as you would like? Now here’s a powerful motivation to simplify and organize your home more time for you to learn and grow, relax and play! Do it for you.