I was sitting around wondering what to prepare for dinner tonight and this is what I have decided on. I thought that I would share with all of you. This is an easy recipe for delicious homemade spaghetti without the fuss.
- 1 – 12 oz. package of spaghetti, cooked according to the directions on the package.
- 2 26 oz. cans spaghetti sauce – any brand, any flavor
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. Italian sausage(casing removed)
- 1 small container of sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp. garlic powder(or 1 tsp. fresh minced)
Crumble ground beef and Italian sausage into a large frying pan and cook over medium heat.
About halfway through the cooking process add mushrooms, seasonings and 1/2 of the diced onions and 1/2 of the bell peppers. Continue cooking until the meat mixture is well done.
Transfer the contents of your frying pan into a large stew pot. Add the 2 cans of spaghetti sauce and the remainder of onions and bell peppers to the meat mixture in the stew pot and simmer over low heat for about 45 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Be sure to stir contents often to avoid scorching.
Pour sauce over spaghetti, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, or you can mix the spaghetti in with the sauce in the stew pot and simmer over very low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring often, and let the flavors blend. This is the way my husband prefers his spaghetti.
- Italian breakfast sausage may be substituted for link style Italian sausage.
- Ground turkey or chicken may be substituted for ground beef.
- Stir spaghetti sauce often to prevent from scorching.