The divorce rate in the United States is over 50% and the affects of divorce on children is not a pretty picture.
Here are some facts on the affects of divorce on children:
- Children of divorce are twice as likely to drop out of school and three times as apt to have a child out of wedlock.
- Children of divorce are five times more likely to live in poverty and 12 times more likely to be incarcerated during their lifetime.
Maybe these tips will help couples avoid divorce.
Five Tips on How to Enjoy a Happy Marriage and Keep it That Way!
1) Focus on the strengths and the value that each of you bring to the relationship. Notice whether you are ONLY focusing on your spouse’s weaknesses or quirks? Make a list of each of your strengths and honor them.
2) Master the Art of True Listening. Take time for each other at least 15 to 20 minutes three times a week without the interruptions of TV, computers, cell phones, etc. We all need to feel heard and understood. By giving each other the respect of true listening will change your marriage forever.
3) Treat your spouse as you would a stranger. Be aware of how you treat someone that you just met. Are you kind, respectful, patient, understanding and maybe even forgiving? Why not treat your spouse the same way?
4) Never stop spoiling each other. When the spoiling stops the marriage is in trouble. Keep it simple. It could be as simple as greeting your spouse after a long, challenging day with a cup of tea or a glass of wine.
5) Do an Act of Kindness. We hear all the time how important it is to do an Act of Kindness for a stranger without expecting anything in return. Why not your spouse?