Carnelians are a beautiful red crystal whose color varies from light red with yellow to a deep blood red. Having a trigonal crystal system they have a hardness rating of 7 (1 being softest and 10 being hardest). Carnelians are associated with the number 6. They are linked with the Sun and the zodiac signs of Taurus, Cancer, Leo and Scorpio.
Benefits of Carnelians include:
- Relief from headaches.
- Increases analytic abilities and concentration
- Improves a weak memory
- Decreases anger, envy and emotional negativity
- Decreases nosebleeds
- Promotes fertility in women and potency in men
- Decreases frigidity in women and sexual dysfunction in men
- Aids in the absorbtion of vitamins and minerals
- Helps with blood disorders and purifies the blood
- Improves conditions related to the heart and circulation
- Alleviates lower back disorders
- Alleviates the symptoms of rheumatism and arthritis
- Accelerates healing of bones and ligaments
- Increases courage
The name Carnelian is derived from the latin word carnis which means flesh. Deep red Carnelians have often been heat treated and when held up to the light will show internal stripes while a natural Carnelian will be more cloudy internally.
Carnelians were beloved by the Egyptians who believed they assisted the soul in it’s journey and that they provided tremendous protective powers in the afterlife. They were a popular stone for jewelry worn by the ancient Egyptians.
When worn, Carnelians are very effective in calming anger, jealousy and envy. They also impart an acceptance to the cycles of life and removes the fear of death. It is useful in preventing abuse by helping you to trust yourself, your judgment and improve your perceptions of life and those around you as well as to overcome negative conditioning.
Carnelians are associated with abundance by helping daydreamers to focus on everyday reality and motivates those who wear it to success in business and personal matters.
Here are some links to my other articles about crystals: