This is just one tool in an arsenal of knowledge in the battle to lose weight, but it is known to help significantly with long term weight loss and maintenance. Lets face it, losing weight is the most difficult thing that many of us will ever attempt to accomplish. It is really a lifelong battle for those of us who are genetically predisposed to become overweight. Using the tools below will help us to lose weight and keep it off for good.
- Keep a cup handy for measuring
- To make your eye think it has more food, put food on smaller plates
- Prepared or frozen dinners are good for portion control. Just make sure it says it is only one serving
- Always put leftovers away immediately
- When you come home from the grocery, separate meat and veggies immediately into single serving size
- Desserts can also be purchased in single serving sizes.
- Follow packaging recommended serving sizes and eat only one serving.
- If you are a soda drinker, replace at least one to two cans per day with a no-calorie drink
- Take half a meal home when you eat out. Most restaurant meals are oversized.
- If you make a sandwich with only one slice of bread, or open-faced, you can save calories
- Eat vegetables or fruit with every meal to fill up with fiber
- Remember it takes about 20 minutes for the message to go from mouth to stomach that you are full
Remember, make a plan and stick with it and you will be more likely to succeed.