With obesity at an all time high, this diet is one to try. Here are some pointers on how to use this diet effectively.
- Have a glass of grapefruit juice or half a grapefruit in the morning with a high protein meal such as three eggs and two slices of bacon. The protein consumption inhibits the loss of muscle while losing fat.
- Have a snack that is also high in protein such as 3 oz of cheese or a small yogurt. Have another 4-8 oz glass of grapefruit or a grapefruit half.
- For lunch drink another glass of grapefruit juice and have a turkey wrap with lettuce, tomatoes and onions or a large salad with tuna or meat topping.
- At mid-afternoon, have another glass of grapefruit juice with carrot sticks or celery and peanut butter.
- For dinner, drink another glass of grapefruit juice or grapefruit half and eat a meal of steak or chicken, or if vegetarian have fish or veggie meat. Have a large salad on the side or corn, broccoli, green beans, or peas.
- For a late day snack have another glass of grapefruit juice or grapefruit half with a jello cup or apple. Apple slices with peanut butter are good filler; just keep the peanut butter to a minimum.
- To sweeten the grapefruit add artificial sweetener or splenda
- Stay away from bread, potatoes, pasta, pastries, muffins, chips, cereal, bagels or any high carbohydrate foods.
- For a sweet treat buy individual sugar free jello or pudding. Add a spoonful of whipped cream to the top, but only eat one.
- Eat apples when all else fails. They are a high fiber food that has very few calories so they fill you up, but do not add many calories to the diet.
- Keep a calorie count and keep them between 1000 and 1500
- Start a walking, aerobic or weight training routine
Remember, look at losing weight as a lifestyle change. You did not become overweight overnight, and it will not come off that quickly. Use this as a jumpstart to healthier eating.