Things You’ll Need:
- 4 quarts of popcorn
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- food coloring of your choice
- Big mixing bowl
- Sewing needle
First you need to make the color mixture. Place sugar and water in the pot. Cook until it starts to crack. Add food coloring of your choice.
Pour mix over the popcorn in the mixing bowl, and stir immediately! Make sure you’re stirring fast enough that it covers all the popcorn before the mix starts to harden. Once all the popcorn is covered, go ahead and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
While waiting for the popcorn to set, grab your needle and string. Thread your string through the eye of the needle. Now you can either cut yourself a long piece of string, or you can keep it on the spool.
Take your needle and thread it through the bulbous part of the popcorn. Keep threading the popcorn until you feel your strand is as long as you want it. Cut the end closest to the spool. Tie a knot at the end so the popcorn doesn’t slide off. Do the same for the other end.
You now have a strand of colorful popcorn garland! Make as many more as you wish, and when done string them around your Christmas tree ! Also remember that this is edible garland. So don’t worry about your child taking a bite. It’s safe and harmless!
Tips & Warnings
- Pop the popcorn before you start to cook the sugar and water.
- Try making every other one a different color!
- Also try separating 3 or 4 popcorn pieces with a bead in between them.
- If you stir popcorn too slow it will only cover half of your batch.
- Make sure to thread through the bulbous part of the popcorn. If you use any other part it is apt to fall apart and make a mess.