- Using a melt and pour soap base with a few drops of fragrance oil and coloring, you can quickly make up an assortment of homemade soaps that are perfect for gift baskets, Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, anniversaries, and the like. There are also a variety of molds available if you would like to mold it into all manner of fun shapes. In a pinch, you could use just about any non-porous container to mold your soap. The great thing about melt and pour soaps is that they have already been cured, so they don’t need any resting time once they’ve hardened.
- The same basic procedure can be used to make jar candles. You can use leftover mason or jelly jars as the container to hold your melted wax. Like soap, these can also be colored and scented accoringly.
- Even the most mediocre photograph can be given new life in the proper frame. Just have a clever or meaningful photograph printed to the proper size and slide it into an elegant frame. Be sure to choose a frame that is simple and neutral in design. A festive holiday frame may be colorful, but you want something that the recipient can enjoy year-round.
- You could use the same framing concept with a quote or poem, using a desktop publishing program like Microsoft Publisher to give it a little pizazz.
- You can find beads at most craft stores at a reasonable price, and they can quickly be made into necklaces, bracelets, anklets, and more. Try using a simple pattern of repeating colors and shapes to make an attractive design.
- Layer the necessary dry ingredients for your favorite, cookie, muffin, or cake recipe in a mason jar and screw on the lid to create one of the ubiquitous recipes in a jar that you see so often at Christmas.. You can even glue a bit of fabric around the top to make it look pretty.
- Simply take a basket and lay some cloth along the bottom, making sure to overlap the edges a little for appearance, and fill it up. Tying a ribbon around the handle finishes it up nicely. If you want to include a bottle of wine or sparkling cider, you could do this with an ice bucket to complete the effect.