Papaya salad is easy to make. Ingredients are red or green fresh chilies, 2-3 cloves of fresh garlic, 2 cups of shred papaya, half cup shred carrot, half cup of cut long bean (cut about one inch long). 1 cup of wedged potatoes, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce or fish sauce, 1 and a half tablespoon of paste sugar or palm sugar, 3 tablespoons of lime juice or lemon juice or vinegar, quarter cup of peanut.
Note: These are the basics ingredients for papaya salad. However, anything can be added and mixed in papaya salad just like other salads for example cashew nut, shred mango, dried shrimp, strawberries, dates, apples, cantaloupes and so on.
Note: Normally, 2 pieces of chilies is low-medium hot. It is not too hot for children. More chilies are added to make it more challenging hot.
– Start with crushing chilies and garlic with motar and prestle
Note: Shrimp paste is added in papaya salad for someone who likes it (use about 1 tablespoon). Someone who likes it likes it a lot. But if they donâ€™t like it, they donâ€™t want to go near it because of the smell. Adding shrimp paste in papaya salad is common in north-east part of Thailand (isan).
– If you like shrimp paste, put shrimp paste in and keep beating with the prestle
– Add sugar and continue beating, and then add papaya, carrot, tomato, long bean, fish sauce, lime juice and peanut. Continue beating until all ingredients mixed well
– Add other ingredients as you like and mix it or beat it
– Season with sugar, fish sauce or lime
Note: Papaya salad originally is the balance of 4 flavors: (pepper) hot, salty, sweet and sour. The flavor can be adjusted as the way you like it, more salty or sourer. But it is not usual to add more sweet.
Finally, serve with vegetables such as cabbage, cucumber, mint, long bean and sticky rice.