Sometimes a perfect summer salad is not complete without fruit of one type or another. This salad has fresh orange juice in the vinaigrette as well as orange segments in the salad. I have had to delicately balance the vinaigrettes flavors, beacuse orange and vinegar are both acidic. I hope you enjoy the results. Recipe makes about 2 cups vinaigrette. This salad is also great with grilled chicken or steak.
- To make the vinaigrette, put the orange juice, vinegar, mustard, and honey into a small bowl, zest 1 orange and add to the bowl, whisk in the canola oil until emulsified. Season with a pinch salt, and white pepper, stir and taste.
- Wash, spin and shred the lettuce, add to a large bowl. Thinly slice the onion and add to the bowl with the tomatoes. Peel 2 oranges, completely remove the pith. Following the segements of the orange, slice out the segments and place aside on a plate.
- Heat a saute pan to medium high, add a little oil and butter. Toss the shrimp with the seasonijg and a pinch of salt. Working in batches saute the shrimp , about 1-2 minutes each side.
- Add the vinaigrette to the salad with the orange segments and toss. Arrange the salad on the plates with the shrimp to the side.
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice, about 3 oranges
- plus 2 oranges for segments
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 red onion
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts
- 1/4 lb grape or cherry tomatoes
- 24 large raw shrimp, peepled, deveined, tail on
- 1 Tbs blackened seasoning
- butter and canola oil for cooking
- salt and white pepper