Some waxes have higher melting points, but most don’t need to be heated over 200 degrees Fahrenheit (93 Celsius). Ranges are from 130 to 200 Fahrenheit or 54 to 93 degrees Celsius. Softer waxes have lower melting points because they don’t require as much heat to melt.
Flash points vary depending on the type of wax used, so it’s important to read the label to obtain the information about the safest maximum temperature to heat your wax. If you don’t take the flash point seriously, your candle wax could explode and cause serious damage.
- If your wax does catch on fire, use a fire extinguisher or smother it with baking soda. Don’t use water because wax is oil based and water will just fuel the fire.
When you use a double boiler, the temperature will stay even, so the risk of the temperature suddenly rising is decreased. This doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t monitor the temperature with a thermometer. It’s dangerous to leave wax unattended so if you must go anywhere else, shut off the burner.
Another reason not to overheat your candle wax is that it can fade your colors and evaporate any scent added. Add the scent after the dye and then immediately take it off the burner. This helps avoid overheating your wax and/or wrecking your candle. Pour the candle wax into the mold or container as soon as possible for best results.