Dear Mr. President,
Your leadership today is critical to resolving the crisis in Darfur and building a better tomorrow for civilians throughout Sudan. Helping to bring peace to Sudan is not something the U.S. can accomplish alone. U.S. leadership must play a central role in galvanizing the peacemakers in Sudan and the international community to finally solve Sudan’s recurrent crises.
The upcoming session of the U.N. General Assembly in New York and meeting of the G-20 nations in Pittsburgh offer two ideal opportunities to lend the weight of your personal engagement to your policy plan for Sudan.
During the UN General Assembly, I therefore call on you to:
– Include a section on Darfur and Sudan in your speech to the General Assembly
– Raise Darfur and Sudan during any head of state session of the Security Council
– Bring up Darfur and Sudan in bilateral meetings with key heads of state
During the G-20 meeting, I likewise call on you to:
– Raise Darfur and Sudan in talks with key heads of state
– Condition a debt forgiveness package for Sudan directly on progress in Darfur and full implementation of the Comprehensive Peace Agreement
There are no easy fixes for Sudan, and real progress will likely take time. But the wait for peace will be shorter and the lives lost will be fewer with your robust personal engagement. Thank you for your commitment to bringing peace to Sudan. I look forward to your leadership at this critical time.
A Concerned US Citizen
Sign the petition at: http://action.savedarfur.org/campaign/ungapoll