When you ask people what is their worst fear, many will respond that public speaking is one of the biggest. Fortunately there are some great tips to help you become a better speaker and reduce this fear. Below are some of the best tips to follow when doing public speaking.
- Know your audience — Basically make sure you know who you are speaking to before you begin.
- Make eye contact — Don’t just stand there and read from a report. You want to make eye contact with as many people as possible when speaking.
- Be Knowledgeable with what you are speaking about — Make sure you know what you are talking about before beginning.
- Try to reduce the amounts of “um’s” and other common utterances when speaking — avoid these if possible.
- Take short pauses throughout talking — this will give your audience time to reflect on what you are speaking about.
- Ask for any questions either at the end of speaking or throughout your speech if necessary.
- Avoid using too many hand signals as this can lead to distractions.
- Practice your speech before actually presenting it.
- Try to relax as much as possible while speaking.
- Do not apologize for being nervous to your audience.
- If possible, interact with the audience — get them involved with question relevant to your material you are presenting.
- Make sure you are dressed appropriately — proper dress and hygiene will go a long way.
- Introduce yourself and say “Hello” to the room at the beginning of your presentation.
- Speak slowly and clearly — Pace yourself and dot not go lightning fast.
- It does not hurt to crack a joke or suggest something funny in your speech.
- If you make a mistake — correct it and continue on with your speech.
- Be Yourself — Do not try and change your personality. Things will go much better if you stay comfortable being yourself.
Well, there you have it. Hopefully these tips will help you in your public speaking. The best piece of advice I can give is to do it over and over again. The more you do public speaking or practice it, the more comfortable you will become with it.