In todays society it seems that formula feeding is a more largly used method than breastfeeding. Keeping up with the high paced world, working mothers find it hard to facilitate breastfeeding but even a little can help you baby’s health trenendously (continue reading for information). By providing straight facts about the benifits of breastfeeding for both child and mother, I hope to persuade mothers to breastfeed.
First I will explain in what ways your infant will benifet from breastfeeding.
- Breast milk has antibodies that contain disease fighting cells which help fight germs, ilness, and SIDS.
- Breastfeed babys have a lower risk of getting ear infections, stomach viruses, diarrhea, Respiratory infections, Atopic dermatitis, asthma, obesity, type 1 and type 2 diabetes, childhood leukemia, colic, Suddend Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), Necrotizing enterocolitis, a disease that affects the gastrointistinal tract in pre-term infants.
- The colostrum that your body makes during pregnancy and a week or 2 afterwards is full of nutrients and antibodies that will protect your baby during the first weeks of his/her life. This reason being, if you do not plan to breastfeed you should at least nurse the sirst week so that your baby will get those antibodies that are so crucial for building a strong immune system.
- A result of being breastfeed your baby will form a strong bond with you. This is because at each feeding time they are snuggled close to your body which conforts them.
- Development and learning during the first year of breastfeed babys is greater than the first year of formula feed babys.
- Protection against meningitis, botulism, childhood lymphoma, crohn’s disease and ulcerative entercolits.
- Decreased risk of tooth decay (cavities)
- Nursing promotes facial structure development, enhanced speech, straighter teeth and enhances vision.
- Breastfed infants develop higher IQ’s, and have improved brain and nervous system development; IQ advantage of 10-12 points studied at ages 8, 12, and 18. (Breastfeeding is considered the 4th trimester in brain growth and development…there are specific proteins in human milk that promote brain development)
- Reduced risk of heart disease later in life.
- Increased bone density.
How you as a mother will benifit from nursing your infant:
- Will have a lower risk of type 2 diabetes, breast canscer, ovarian cancer, and postpartum depression.
- Breastfeeding makes your life easier. You do not have to purchase, measure, and mix formula. There are no bottles to warm in the middle of the night!
- Breastfeeding can save you between $1,160 and $3,915 per year, depending on the brand of formula.
- You can satisfy her baby’s hunger right away with breastfeeding.
- After delivering, nursing your baby will help your uterus contract and heal and to control postpartum bleeding. This is natural and is the way your body is designed.
- Getting rid of the excess pounds after pregnancy is easier if you breastfeed your baby for your bodie is burning extra calories to make make milk for your child. Since your child will need to eat at leat every 2 hours that is a lot of calories beieng burned!! 1/2 of the calories needed to manufacture milk is pulled from fat stores which can burn from 500 – 1,500 calories per day.
- Reduced risk of anemia.
Not convinced? Here are some other reason why breastfeed babies are best feed.
- Statistics reveal that for every 87 deaths from SIDS, only 3 are breastfed.
- Your milk changes over time to meet your baby’s needs. Your breast milk that begins to be made by the third to fifth day after birth has just the right amount of fat, sugar, water, and protein that is needed for a baby’s growth. It will be a thinner type of milk, but just as full of all of the nutrients and antibodies for your baby.
- For most babies, breast milk is easier to digest than formula. It takes time for their stomachs to adjust to digesting the proteins in formula because they are made from cow’s milk.
- When you breastfeed, there are no bottles and nipples to sterilize. Unlike human milk straight from the breast, infant formula has a chance of being contaminated.
- Even if you are a working mother and need to go back to work after your pregnancy, pumping is a useful method to have breastmilk for your baby while your working. There are pumps that you can buy now that are painless and easier to use than they were 5 to 10 years ago.
- Breatfeed babies are hospitalized 10 times less than formula fed infants in the first year of life.
- If your body is not making enough milk to satisfy you infant then supplementing with formula is a must. As long as you nurse when you can, your baby’s body will be consuming what is needed for a healthy life.
- Breastfeeding plays an important role in the emotional and spiritual development of babies.
- There are factors in human milk that destroy E coli, salmonella, shigella, streptococcus, pneumococcus….and many others
- Breastfed babies smell great….spit ups don’t stain, or smell, and poopie diapers are not offensive…(until solids are introduced)
Breastfeeding is the natural healthy way to feed your newborn baby. If you want to give your child the best then nursim him/her is the first step. The nutrients found in formula is not the same as in breastmilk. Formula is manmade and has chemicals as where breastmilk is 100% natural.