I use a large number of resources to farm out my articles. I use all of the available links to promote my articles. Digg, Stumbleupon, Reddit. And when used correctly, they all work. This will normally generate between 50-200 hits per article.
I follow this up by spamming the articles in topic specific forums; for example, I spammed a Metallica article in a number of Metallica chatrooms, my NFL preview in NFL football and sports forums, and my American Idol article in Idol forums. Depending on the subject, this has gotten me anywhere from a few dozen to a few thousand views. (And, in a few cases, many thousands).
But while I’m always on the lookout for new sites and forums to try, a few weeks back I inadvertantly found what has been, for me, the proverbial jackpot for viewers. Every article I put on this site has, in short order, reached the hot list (or, on other sites where I publish, the equivalent). This site has literally generated, for me, tens of thousands of hits in the past couple of weeks.
I have made a practice of sharing my knowledge on publishing with others, both in the forum and through articles. But this is one I almost sat on, as misuse could corrupt what really is a jackpot. But this is a virtually incorruptible site…. a little place called Craigslist.
I was actually researching an article about the site, and certain numbers jumped out… namely 47,000,000 unique visitors per month. Surely there had to be a way to tap in…
Turns out it isn’t that hard. Takes a little time, but dear lord, does it pay off. So share I will…. how to pimp Craigslist in 5 steps.
- Sign Up…. self explanatory
- Find the discussion forums… you will have to wait a week before posting, but this gives you time to learn the lay of the land.
- Important… Do not post twice in separate areas with the exact same words…. you will get banned. Make changes to each individual post. This will probably involve some experimentation.
- Delete your post within 36 hours. The initial surge is where the majority of the hits come from, anyway. Longer that that, and you yourself will be bombarded with spam.
- If you choose to post in other areas other that writing specific, you will be banned. Do not try to slip your plug into the wrong areas. It is unnecessary, and again, will get you banned.
That’s it… that easy. I’ve only been using it for a couple of weeks, as I said, but the results have been astounding. Small note… if you are looking for likes and comments, this method is virtually useless. And since both are necessary for any kind of prolonged stay on the hot list (at least most of the time) then don’t simply use this.