First thing you need to do is determine if you really need a wedding planner, and if so what do you need for them to do for you. For instance, do you want them to just do the wedding only, wedding and reception, or the whole wedding planning from start to finish where you don’t have to do a thing. What is your budget for hiring this person.
Then you need to get some information on the stuff that you will need for the wedding to show to the wedding planner what you will be wanting.
Start calling 3 – 5 wedding planners asking them their pricing. There are 2 types of pricing: 1 per hour and the other per package. Each type of pricing will specify what they will do for you.
Then decide which ones you would like to see and make an appointment to see them. Remember this is just the initial consult and you don’t have to sign anything. What you are doing is feeling them out to see if you feel comfortable with them helping you out in your most important day.
Tips & Warnings
- A good wedding planner is one where you can contact them at anytime of day or night where they give you their cell phone number and work phone number along with their email address so that you can correspond with them.
- They will also keep you posted at all times on how things are going on a monthly basis and when it gets close to your wedding day, then on a day-to-day basis.
- They will also have the names of some good vendors who can help you out on what you are willing to do.
- Ask them about a cancellation clause if you need to cancel your wedding for whatever reason.
- Some wedding planners are willing to come to your house or a place other than where they work if it is more comfortable for you.
- Read your contract with them very, very carefully to make sure that everything that you want done is in writing along with the cost.
- If on your first meeting they want some money from you, you need to walk out on the meeting.