How to Fix Your Credit Report & Exercising Those Rights

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

The first step you need to take is to find out exactly what is in your credit report. There are three reporting agencies: Equifax, Trans Union, and Experian. Go online, call or write to each of the agencies for your credit report (contact information at bottom of article) or go to to obtain your credit report.

You are entitled to one free report a year. Carefully review all of the information in your credit report. Dispute all inaccurate information with each of the credit reporting agencies. Next you will need to contact the creditor reporting the incorrect information to dispute with them. The creditors must send a notice of the dispute to the reporting agencies and the agencies have to put that notice of dispute with your file.

The creditors and the credit reporting agencies have to fix or delete the incorrect information in your credit file within 30 days of a dispute by law. Potential employers always must get your written consent before they can gain access to your credit report file. Protect your social security number and never give it out unless absolutely necessary.

Whenever you are denied or rejected employment, housing, credit or insurance because of information contained in your credit file, you must be notified by the source that reported it, as well as the reporting agency that provided the information and be given the reason(s) why.

Equifax P.O. Box 740241 Atlanta, GA 30374 1-800-685-1111

Experian P.O. Box 2002 Allen, TX 75013 1 888 397 3742

TransUnion P.O. Box 1000 Chester, PA 19022 1-800-888-4213


About Author

Leave A Reply