In simple words Communication is the sharing of ideas, opinions, or information with one or more people.
Communication is interactive.
Sending of a message isn’t enough; the message must be grasped, absorbed, taken in by the other person. Words alone, either spoken or written, don’t communicate. People communicate
A Checklist for good communication
- Plan all communications
- Make sure that you have your message clear in your mind before you try to pass it on to others.
- Phrase it in language that the receiver understands.
- Be yourself – be natural – be relaxed.
- Keep to the point – don’t ramble.
- Be positive.
- Put yourself in the recipient’s shoes – what are their needs, interests and motivations?
- Keep asking yourself “Are they interested in what I am saying?”
- Illustrate the points – use examples, anecdotes, visual aids.
- Don’t be patronizing.
- Avoid mannerisms.
- Use paper for facts, but word of mouth for reasons.
- Get the official story out first and ‘beat the grapevine”.
- Ask plenty of questions (what, why, who, how, when, where?).
- Be a good listener.
- Judge the content, not the delivery.
- Don’t over-react.
- Listen for ideas.
- Be flexible.
- Work at listening.
- Resist distractions.
- Exercise the mind.
- Keep an open mind.
- Use the spare thinking time.
This is check list to be followed if one wants to effectively communicate and get success in which ever field he /she endeavors.