Here is a terrific family meal that includes all the food groups and is fun and satisfying.
You will need:
shredded iceberg lettuce
sliced black olives
chopped green onions
sour cream (you can substitute with nonfat plain yogurt if you want to be weight conscious)
2 cans of brown beans in tomato sauce
shredded cheddar cheese
1. Fry the brown beans in a nonstick pan lightly drizzled in vegetable oil.
2. Add about a teaspoon of chili powder and of cumin. Feel free to use more if you want a spicier taste.
3. Stir and fold beans until they’ve got a pasty consistency.
4. Soften the tortilla skins in the microwave for about 40 seconds.
5. Put some of the beans in the tortilla skins and roll them up.
6. Put two or three rolled and stuffed skins on a plate (depending on the family member’s appetite).
7. Put shredded cheddar cheese on top and microwave until cheese has melted. Don’t overheat.
8. Pile the lettuce on top. Then add the other vegetables on top of the lettuce.
9. Add some salsa and sour cream on the side.
This recipe can be prepared with the help of the children, allowing them to feel they are contributing to the preparation of the meal. They’ll enjoy being able to pick and choose which ingredients they include with their meal.
Easy Summer Meal
1. Prepare or purchase tabouleh (a combination of bulgur or couscous, chopped parsley, mint, tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, oil and spices).
2. Spread hummus on preheated naan bread.
3. Place tabouleh on top of the hummus.
The taste combination is fabulous. The hummus keeps the tabouleh from falling off, and the combination meets your protein, veggies, and grain needs.
Kids love these meals, and they can be made in no time at all!