World’s Most Venomous Animals and Emergency Treatment for Their Bite or Sting

Knowledge of first aid is very essential – anytime and anywhere. They are vital in saving the lives of others. In

case of emergency, these emergency treatments can be applied.



Image Source

Jellyfish are among the most deadly creatures in the world. Box jellyfish venom is the most deadly in the animal

kingdom and has caused at least 5,567 recorded deaths since 1954.

Treatment: Immediately wash the area of the sting with alcohol or freshwater. See to it that all pieces of jellyfish

tentacles have been removed from the skin. Administer aspirin or antihistamine to help reduce the pain and

itching. Immediately summon a doctor.



Image Source

The Stonefish is the most venomous fish in the world. Its dorsal area is lined with 13 spines that release venom

from two sacs attached to each spine. Its venom causes severe pain with possible shock, paralysis, and tissue

death depending on the depth of the penetration. This level can be fatal to humans if not given medical attention

within a couple of hours.

Treatment: Immediate first aid treatment requires the immobilization of venom at penetration site; depending on

the depth of penetration this can be achieved either by firm constrictive bandaging or by a managed tourniquet

sited between wound and proximal flexure.

Sting Ray


Image Source

Treatment: When stung by sting ray, wash the area carefully with salt water and remove any pieces of the stinger

imbedded in the skin or flesh. After doing this, soak the wound with hot water for up to an hour. Apply antiseptic or

a sterile dressing after the soak. Consult a physician after the stingray attack. If the sting occurs in the chest or

abdomen, the victim should be rushed to the nearest hospital as soon as possible. On September 4, 2006,

television personality Steve Irwin was pierced in the chest by a stingray barb while snorkeling in Australia and died

shortly after.

Black Widow Spider


Image Source

This spider is one of the deadliest animals in the world. Although their venom is extremely potent (it is also reported to be much more potent than the venom of cobras and coral snakes), these spiders are not especially large.

Treatment: If someone is bitten by this spider, make the victim lie still. See to it that the bite is lower than the level

of the heart. Apply a rubber band between the bite and the heart to retard venom flow to the heart. The bite is

recognizable by two points. Apply ice packs to the bite. Call a doctor and bring the victim to the nearest hospital.

Brown House (or Recluse) Spider


Image Source

Treatment: Keep the victim lying down and quiet. Apply a cold pack or ice pack to the wound area. To relieve

pain or feeling of irritation, offer an aspirin and antihistamine. Call a physician and describe the situation.



Image Source

Bites of several species of scorpions are very fatal and all scorpions are toxic.

Treatment: Immediately apply ice on the area of the sting and continue to do so for an hour and keep the area

of the bite lower than the level of the heart. Should the breathing of the victim become depressed, administer

artificial respiration. Call a doctor immediately and or bring the patient to the nearest clinic or hospital.



Image Source

Like scorpions, several species of snakes are venomous and they are among the deadliest animals in the world.

The Inland Taipan (Oxyuranus microlepidotus), also known as the Small Scaled Snake and Fierce Snake, is

native to Australia and is the most venomous snake in the world.

Treatment: Remember that bites from non-venomous snake’s leaves six rows of very small bite marks while

almost all venomous snake bites leaves two big bites. Tie a rubber band (a sock, necktie, handkerchief or piece

of torn shirt will do) above the wound between it and the heart and tight enough to slow but not to stop blood

circulation. The snake bite victim should be transported immediately to the nearest hospital lying down with the

wounded part lower than his heart. And advise the patient not to move as much as possible.

Animal Bites/Rabies


Image Source

Rabies is almost always fatal that should be promptly and properly treated. Rabies is transmitted to humans by

cats, dogs, bats and other animal bite or through a cut or scratch already in the skin. The infected saliva may

enter through any opening.

Treatment: Washed thoroughly and repeatedly the area around the wound with soap and water. Dry the wound

very well and cover with clean piece of cloth and bring the victim to the nearest doctor or hospital.

Blue-ringed Octopus


Image Source

The blue-ringed octopuses are three or four small octopus species that live in tide pools in the Pacific Ocean,

from Japan to Australia. Despite their small size and relatively docile nature, they are currently recognized as one

of the world’s most venomous animals.

Treatment: When stung by blue-ringed octopus, immediate treatment is pressure on the wound and rescue

breathing. It is essential, if rescue breathing is required, that it be continued until the victim begins to breathe,

which may be some hours. Hospital treatment involves respiratory assistance until the toxin is washed out of the


During such situations, always bear in mind to keep relax and calm as much as possible. Failure to do so will

jeopardize the situation further.

About Author

Leave A Reply