Toxic Indoor Plants – What You Should Know
House plants can be very beneficial in our homes and lives. They can purify our homes and turn it into a healthy environment. However, there are some toxic plants that can be harmful to our pets and our children if kept in the home. It is advisable, to hang these kind of toxic plants.
Consider educating yourself with gardening and all the different types of indoor plants available. Buy a plant book. This will help you to gain knowledge on what are the best and safest indoor plants. Go to your local library and look at books there. Search the internet for information about toxic plants too.
Learn about the dangers of plants and consider the facts. Plants get bugs. Early detection and prevention of this is important or it may be too late. Act quickly by getting advice from a gardener or someone at a nursery shop.
Here is a list of names that are dangerous to keep as indoor plants:
1. Caladiums – Can be a danger for skin irritants and are poisonous if ingested. This is a tropical plant that can be grown indoors or outdoors.
2. Dieffenbachia – If animals eat any of the leaves on this plant, they are very liable to suffocate from the closing of their throat. Also, dangerous for small children.
3. English Ivy – Spider mites can become attached to this plant. Keep away from children and animals if grown indoors.
4. Poinsettias – The greatest risk is a skin reaction to the plant’s milky white sap. This is called contact dermatitis, and it can occur in people who are naturally sensitive to plants in Euphorbia genus. It is best to avoid the sap whenever possible and to wash the hands thoroughly after touching. Also, eating the leaves may result in stomach ache, but this is most likely true of any plant and some house plants are more dangerous. Keep away from children and teach them not to go near plants and eat leaves from them.
In most cases, there are many poisonous shrubs, and it is best always to be more cautious, especially if you have small children. Some shrubs bear poisonous berries or seeds, whilst with others, it may be toxic leaves or roots or bark that present a danger. Still other shrubs may have multiple poisonous parts.
You have to learn to avoid these areas of plants by seeking the correct advice from a qualified gardener. This can be done quite easily by just going to a garden shop and asking for expert advice.
Also, do not use strong, synthetic pesticides like malathion inside your home. It is dangerous for pets and young children that touch nearly everything in sight. It is important to understand that some of these, too, can pose a toxic threat. Be warned about this. If you have to use a pesticide, then Neem is the safest form. Neem is considered an organic, biological pest control and it is the best one if you have pets around and young children.