Michael Jackson’s album Thriller was his sixth studio album. It has sold over 100 million copies. It was released on November 30, 1982 on the Epic Records label, a division of Columbia records. There were 7 top ten singles and it won 8 grammy awards. It was 1 of 3 albums to stay on the top 10 for over a year.
It featured guests like Paul McCartney on their duet The Girl Is Mine, Eddie Van Halen doing a guitar solo on Beat It, Vincent Price doing a voice over on Thriller and his sisters Janet & Latoya singing backup on PYT (pretty young thing)
The original vinyl jacket had a gatefold cover with a picture of Michael laying down on the front and inside with a baby Tiger. The inner vinyl sleeve was white with a drawing of Michael & Paul struggling with a girl like she is a wishbone on one side. The other side had a drawing of a couple watching TV while monsters like Frankenstein and others were all around them.
In 2001, the album was re-released titled Thriller: Special Edition and in 2008, a deluxe 25th anniversary version was released with extra tracks.
- I Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’
- Baby Be Mine
- The Girl Is Mine with Paul McCartney
- Beat It (single version) with Eddie Van Halen on guitar
- Billie Jean (single version
- Human Nature
- P.Y.T. (pretty young thing)
- The Lady In My Life
- Vincent price exerpt
- The Girl is Mine 2008 with willi.i.am
- P.Y.T. 2008
- Wanna Be Startin’ Something 2008
- Beat It 2008 with Fergie
- Billie Jean 2008 with Kanye West
- For All Time (unreleased track from the original Thriller sessions
- Got the Hots (released only in Japan
After Michael Jackson’s death Thriller set additional records. Songs from Thriller also helped Jackson to become the first act to sell over 1 million song downloads in a week.