Not only are herbs flavorful, but many have wonderful medicinal properties as well, and have been used for centuries as remedies for everything from relaxation and sleep promotion to soothing sore throats and relief of asthmatic conditions.
To Start Growing You Will Need:
Seeds of your choice, potting soil, empty yogurt cups, labels, pots (unglazed clay are best because they allow excess moisture to evaporate), small pebbles or marbles for drainage. Plastic bags or cling wrap.
Planting Your Seeds:
1. Make small holes in each of the yogurt cups.
2. Using slightly moist soil, fill cups to within 3/4″ of the top.
3. Place 4-5 seeds in each cup and add enough potting soil so that the cups are almost full.
4. Label each cup.
5. Pat soil down slightly.
6. Place cups on a tray and carefully slide tray into a plastic bag or cover with cling wrap, and move to a dark place.
7. Check your cups daily. As soon as you see seedlings, take the cups out of the plastic and put them on or near a window sill. (south facing is best).
8. When the first few leaves appear, take the healthiest seedlings to transplant in clay pots. ( healthy seedlings are never too long, or too straggly).
After placing a few pebbles or marbles in the bottom of each pot for drainage, you can transplant the seedlings into pots using a high quality potting soil. I prefer to use one of the commercial brands that come with plant food and fertilizers in the mix. These mixes are widely available, affordable and very effective.
Care Of Your Herbs
* Always keep plants moist, but never over water. Over watering can lead to root rot and quickly kill the entire plant.
* Spray plants with tepid water every 3-4 days.
* Pick off any straggly runners as close to the base of the plant as possible so that your plants stay compact and bushy. It is also important too keep an eye on the bottoms of your pots. If you see roots in the drainage holes, you will need to transfer the plants to larger pots.
When plants begin to get bushy and more mature: grab your scissors, trim, experiment, and enjoy.