Anxiety medications are anti anxiety drugs which aim to eliminate anxiety and depression to live a stress free life. They relive anxiety by slowing down the central nervous system. These are considered to be the best treatment option for getting relief from anxiety because of their relaxing and calming effect. They are also prescribed as sleeping pills and muscle relaxants. Let’s throw some light on different types of anxiety medications available in the market:
- Benzodiazepines- These form the most common class of anxiety medications. Some of the drugs under this category include Xanax, Valium, Klonopin and Ativan. These medications are believed to give relief within 30 minutes of intake therefore they are known for their speedy nature. However these drugs also pose few side effects on health. These drugs typically work by reducing brain activity which leads to several side effects. Some of the common side effects associated with benzodiazepines include
- Clumsiness and slow reflexes
- Lack of energy and drowsiness
- Dizziness and lightheadedness
- forgetfulness and memory loss
- Blurred or double vision
- Confusion and disorientation
- Impaired thinking and judgment
Besides these, anti anxiety medications are bound to pose paradoxical effects in the form of increased anxiety, irritability and agitation. Some of the more severe effects are Hostility and rage, Hallucinations and Mania.
Different dosage of different drugs is prevalent therefore one should consult the doctor before taking any anti anxiety medication. Drugs like Xanax and Valium rarely cause fatal overdose even when taken in excess amount. People taking alcohol, prescription painkillers or sleeping pills are not advised to take anxiety medications as that can be dreadful for them.
Some of the other risk of anxiety medications includes
- Individuals over 65 years- It is a fact that older people are sensitive to the sedating effects of anti anxiety medications. People taking even small doses can cause amnesia, confusion, cognitive impairment and loss of balance.
- Pregnant women- pregnant women are not advised to take anxiety medications because that can lead to symptoms like irritability, weakness, trembling, sleep and breathing problem.
- People taking substance abuse- Alcohol or drug users should not consume anxiety medications as that will react and give adverse effects onto your health.
So, all these considerations should be kept in mind if you are deciding to employ anxiety medications to get rid of your anxiety attacks.