To understand the type of energy that we get from carbohydrates or carbs as many fitness gurus call it , we start to think of the best types of carbs that is essential to our daily routine we begin to thing about Long, continued, steady type of energy. They can be seen as simple carbs, complex carbs which are of two types refined and unrefined.
• Simple carbohydrates come in forms of sugar such as: fructose, sucrose and lactose. Simple carbohydrates can be found in table sugar, fruits, sweets, jams, energy drinks, soft drinks and milk. You will often see these listed on the nutritional label as carbohydrates on the back of food products. They are known to give you that short burst of energy.
• Complex carbohydrates can be found in starchy food, which there are two types, refined and unrefined. These particular carbohydrates are found in wheat, bread, oats, corn, barley, lentils, brown rice and vegetables. Why they are useful? Complex carbs are needed for sustained energy and to keep blood glucose levels steady.
• Refined carbohydrates are food that has its outer skin removed and are stripped of their nutrients. They provide energy, however this is released quickly through the system. Examples would be white rice, white bread, white pasta, potatoes with skin removed.
• Unrefined carbohydrates are complete with the outer husk and skin. They are a good source of vitamins, minerals and fibre and release energy slowly. Examples would be: brown rice, wholemeal bread, wholemeal pasta, potatoes with skins, beans, lentils, pulses and vegetables.
• Mixture of Simple and Complex – biscuits, cakes, pastries, sugary breakfast cereal.