To make this impressive looking cake, you will need:
- Boxed white cake mix or store bought pound cake
- Red and blue food coloring
- Whip topping or whipped cream
- If you are using a prepared cake, skip to step 5. Prepare the cake mix according to the instructions on the box. Divide the mixture into 3 separate bowls.
- Add the red food coloring to one bowl. Add the blue food coloring to the other bowl.
- Grease a rectangle cake pan and pour the white cake batter on one side of the pan. Pour the red cake batter in the middle, beside the white mixture. Finish with pouring the blue cake batter beside the red batter. You can also layer and swirl the colored batter to make a marbled cake that will look good when cut.
- Bake the cake as per the directions and cool completely. It is preferred to cool it overnight so that the frosting adheres to the cake well.
- Spread whip topping or whipped cream evenly on top of the cake using a flat spatula.
- Slice strawberries and place the slices in rows over the cake. Leave a small square gap on the top left corner and place blueberries in the square space. The cake should resemble the American flag.
- Chill your 4th of July dessert thoroughly before serving. You can use other fruit if you are making this dessert for another occasion.
You can also use raspberries and strawberries as a combination to decorate the stripes on the cake.
Photo courtesy: John Smith