This tutorial is now updated, so even if you don’t know a thing about computers you can still follow it!
To be able to follow this tutorial, you need:
- A Gmail account. If you don’t have a Gmail account, get one. You do so by clicking here and just follow the instructions. You will need the email address (eg. firstname.lastname@example.org), username (eg. john.smith) and password to follow this tutorial.
- Account will be mentioned as Gmail account
- Email address will be mentioned as Gmail address
- Email username will be mentioned as Gmail username
- Email password will be mentioned as Gmail password
- The email address (eg. email@example.com), username (eg. john.smith) and password of another email.
- Account will be mentioned as Other account
- Email address will be mentioned as Other address
- Email username will be mentioned as Other username
- Email password will be mentioned as Other password
Note that this tutorial won’t work with hotmail and live. This is because hotmail and live doesn’t allow auto forwarding of emails outside their own accounts. This tutorial uses the auto-forwarding function, which among several email-services can be found in Gmail. You can therefor forward email from one Gmail account to another.
1. Log in to your Other account with your Other username and Other password.
2. Look for an option to forward your email (probably in the settings). Enter your Gmail address. (Recommended: If the storage on the Other account is limited, see if there’s an option to delete the emails or move them to the recycle bin on that account after forwarding. If you don’t do this and your storage is limited, there might be a stop of incoming emails after a few days/weeks/months/years).
3. Log in to your Gmail account with your Gmail username and Gmail password.
4. Go to Settings/Accounts and Import.
5. Click on Send mail from another address and enter your other Other address.
6. Click on Next and Send verification.
7. Click on Close window and go to your inbox.
8. You should have a new email in your inbox with the title “Gmail Confirmation – Send Mail as >“ (but “” is replaced with your Other email). Click on the long link in the email.
9. Go to Settings/Accounts and Import. Under Send email as, choose the option “Reply from the same address the message was sent to“.
1. Click on Compose mail.
2. In the From field, select the Other address.
3. Enter your Gmail address in the To field.
4. Enter a subject in the Subject field, and some text in the textbox.
5. Click on Send.
6. Go your Inbox and check for a new email – from yourself.
You can use more nicknames
If you have more addresses: Just follow the first 8 steps in Let’s start for those names too!